Sometimes you may need to change/add/install/activate a new licence key in your current vmware vSphere virtualization servers. Adding a new vSphere license key is easy task through a vSphere client. To assign license key for your ESXi host or vCenter server, first connect to ESXi or vCenter via your vSphere client. and follow the steps below.
Please note the features in the current ESXi host or vCenter server may change as per the new license key. This how to guide is applicable to versions ESXi 5.0, ESXI 5.1, ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.0.
How to add and activate new license key in VMware ESXi / vCenter
- Navigate to “Home” -> “Inventory”
- Select the ESXi host from the left
- Under the “Configuration” tab, select “Licensed Features”
- Now click on the “Edit” option on the right side to change the ESXi server license type
- Now select “Assign a new license key to this host”
- Click on the “Enter key” button and enter new license key in ESXi or vCenter and click “OK” to activate.